Sunday, August 24, 2008

Why I chose Hyundai over Honda/Toyota

No doubt about it : Toyota & Honda make great cars. I've owned both. But it seems their reputation has gone to their heads a bit, and their prices reflect it.

Both the 2008 Civic LX and 2008 Elantra GLS are nice cars with good fuel economy. But the Elantra feels like one trim level higher than the Civic : rear armrest with cup holders, TWO electrical sockets in front, 60/40 fold down back seats, 6 speakers (vs 4), fog lights, put-on-your-makeup-at-night-lights, sunglasses storage, XM radio, more storage nooks, and the amazing Hyundai warranty. Why Honda doesn't match the Hyundai warranty, I don't understand. Honda cars are amazingly reliable, so it seems like it wouldn't cost them much, and it would take away one of Hyundai's best selling points....

On the other side of the balance sheet Honda is a champ in reliability and, for some, "style". I personally prefer the interior of the Hyundai with the more traditional dash, but I respect that others prefer the Civic. To each his own.

And then there was the $4,000. Yes, $4,000 difference in price. Plus the Hyundai has accoutrements galore so the effective price difference is even more.

So who wins? Here are my categories:

Price: Elantra
Style : Elantra for me. YMMV.
Warranty : Elantra
Creature Comforts : Elantra, hands down.
Resale value : Civic
Reliability : Civic???

Resale value is not a big deal to me. The probability that I'll total my car is low, and I drive my cars until they are worthless. Certainly the difference in resale value at 10+ years will be less than $4,000 + 10 years of interest = $8,000. With some luck, I'll come out ahead financially.

A wise friend once said "I don't need a car that attracts women; I just need a car that does not repel women. Well put.

No comments:

Post a Comment