Sunday, July 27, 2008

Cell Phone Headset

If your priorities are

1. Highest possible voice clarity (in and outbound)
2. Works in noisy environments
3. Looking cool doesn't matter

Then buy

Blue Parrott B250 (wireless, bluetooth)
Blue Parrott CP100TK (aka CP110?) (wired)

I've used headsets, both wired and wireless and have never been satisfied with the sound quality. When people complained that they couldn't understand me, I would just unplug and go headset-less. Well, that doesn't fly anymore because of California's new law requiring hands-free sets while driving. Even though there is evidence to the contrary that handfree really increases safety.

Thus began my quest for a better headset.

What works : microphones that sit IN FRONT of your mouth. Not near your mouth. Actually in front, so that you couldn't eat with it on. And ideally the boom is made from segmented metal called "gooseneck". That means when you bend it, it stays put.

Anything that has a long boom is made for computers, airplane pilots, or call center operators. So why didn't I buy one of those? The computer and call center units have non-cell phone compatible jacks and the airplane ones are dual ear which are not legal for driving in CA.

Fast forward about 20 hours of web sleuthing. Turns out that TRUCK DRIVERS are my comrades in pain. They have the same problems with noise and--wow!--they don't care about looking cool with cute silver earbuds. The reviews on the Blue Parrott B250 are simply amazing. These are so popular that they are hard to come by. I found one on ebay and it lives up to the reviews. Frankly, I've never seen anything like it and it seems to have none of the issues of Jawbone and other active noise cancellation systems.

The Blue Parrott CP100TK / CP110 is a wired version of the same. If you don't like dealing with Bluetooth and the associated hassle of charging this is the ticket for you.

In the past I've used a simpler model with no noise cancellation. They are cheap and work because the microphone is in front of your mouth. Problem is that the boom is not gooseneck and so it tends to rest almost IN your mouth. Oh, and this one used to break after a few months.

P.S. Their products are associated with "BlueParrott", "Blue Parrott", "Blue Parrot" or "VXI" on the net. Also, be prepared to do a little work to find these for sale--they are so popular, they are often sold out!

UPDATE : 8/10/08

Bought a CP100TK because I like the reliability of wired. Turns out that the noise rejection is also very good, but the quality of the outbound sound is not as good as the B250 . Still, it is better than my Plantronics M110 (an older over the head model)

2 comments:

  1. Your new headset(HS) is definitely the best.

    I can hear you clearly. Usually I have to turn on the speaker-phone, for ALL my calls.
    Since you got your new HS, I haven't had to do that when I get a call from you.
    Also, I cannot hear any outside noise, like your GPS, or the wind.
    > It does a great job of cutting out any peripheral noise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Beautiful. This headset rocks. The noise cancellation system is amazing. No more noise when you drive over the bridge or even when the windows are open and there's a eighteen-wheeled truck passing beside you on the freeway.

    ReplyDelete