Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Transitioning from Perl to Python

I'm excited.  I'm taking a Python class tomorrow.  At the same time, I'm a little loathe to give be cheating on my long time girlfriend Perl.  Things will be different, but hopefully better in the long run.

One thing I'm hooked on is Perl's regular expressions.  Nick Craig-Wood explains that regular expressions in Python are more clunky but...
Having made the transition from perl to python a couple of years ago, I find myself using regexpes much less. In perl everything looks like it needs a regexp, but python has a much richer set of string methods, eg .startswith, .endswith, good subscripting and the nice "in" operator for strings.
So hopefully things will be ok.

1 comment:

  1. Perl is the best scripting language for Text processing and handle regex. I have posted few articles related to those at my blog

    http://icfun.blogspot.com/search/label/perl

    Also Perl's Cpan has lots of support that I don't even need to think extra while developing project. I didn't find such help on other programming language except Java and .NET

    ReplyDelete